Carnivorous Plants/Spider Mites

QUESTION: Hello Guys,  I have found some red mites on my flytraps. I have treated with Avid miticide. My question is Jeff I think you informed me once about some pest strip or something like that. I can't find that info you gave me. What do you suggest along with the miticide?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

If you can keep the plants affected in an enclosed space No-Pest Strips can work very well with spider mites.  Here's and example:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Hey Jeff, you also gave me this about the mites. I have purchased the strip. I was thinking of bringing the flytraps in the house and sitting it in a 10 gallon tank. I could cover the top or just sit the tank upside down over the pots with the strip inside.  What do you suggest and how long do I leave it in there?
Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

About 3 days should do it.  Just watch after that to see if you get another batch, then repeat.  (Sometimes you kill the adults then eggs hatch.)

Has the Avid worked well?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: The Avid does work.  I did a treatment then waited a few days and there were a few on there again.  I used 1/4 teaspoon per gallon from what I seen on  Don't know if I should go stronger.  I also have a concern about these things developing a resistance.  I have been reading some very good things about predatory mites.  I ordered some from a local hydroponics store.  The package is called "Triple Threat" These things go after the bad mites and their eggs.

Hi Jason,

If you try the predatory mite route you'll need to lay off of any insecticides/miticides.  Our environment is much different than yours, but we found here that when certain tropical plants such as Plumeria or Ti got spider mites, we would have to control them some in the winter, but as soon as we moved them outside the mites started to vanish in a couple of weeks.  Turns out that we have plenty of wild spider mite predators outdoors such as predatory mites and Pirate bugs.  An infested plant was just ringing the dinner bell!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!