Carnivorous Plants/Can I use this soil?

Hi guys,
I have a big bag of Pro mix HP that I use for my other plants.  Reading the ingredients made me think I could use it for my CP's.
Can you give me your input on this before I start experimenting?
Thanks as always,

Hi Ed,

I'm glad you contacted us before using this product.  It most likely would kill Venus Flytraps and Sundews.  If you look at the product specifications they add limestone to adjust pH to neutral, and a wetting agent which is often a detergent of some kind.  Several years ago I wiped out a whole crop of Drosera adelae using a product like this from Teufel Products Company in Portland, a company to be avoided for other reasons.  Unfortunately this tends to be the case with anything that is a mix unless it is specifically stated that it is safe for carnivorous plants.  You're very unlikely to find that outside of cp nurseries.

I've contacted a couple companies in the last couple years mentioning that they would benefit from having a cp mix, but they seem uninterested.  I did get Scott's Miracle Gro's attention, however, when I posted a negative review on Home Depot's website of their Miracle Gro Peat Moss.  Countless people have been had the heartbreak of watching their Venus Flytraps die from using Miracle Gro peat moss.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!