Carnivorous Plants/2 brief questions: Nepenthes and D. filiformis hybrid

Hey Jeff and Jacob!

Just a couple of quick and probably easy, questions:

1.  I bought a D. filiformis x intermedia from you and it appears to be going into hibernation.  Is that common this time of the year (I'm in Missouri)?  It's forming a green bud at the level of the medium.  Looks like many leaves just waiting to burst.

2.  Fall is coming, and I have some Neps outdoors.  Ventrata, Miranda, Sanguinea, and chaniana x veitchii.  We are supposed to get a cold snap this weekend High 56F and low of 43F.  Then back to 70's and 50's.  Should I bring these guys indoors, or can they take it?

Hi Jeff,

It is very normal for D. filiformis x intermedia (a.k.a. x hybrida) to be totally dormant by now.  It can make a difference how early it came out of dormancy, but almost all of ours are down to their hibernacula.

Definitely bring the Nepenthes back in.  Once you start getting to the 40's it's a bit cold.  Many highlanders can handle it, but anything with lowland ancestry (like the Miranda) won't like it very much.  I've gotten damage on lowland truncata with temperatures in the 40's.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!