Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus

Why my ceph got this fungus ? I put bayer fungicide but still coming out this black spot and red spot. My ceph are in t5 10,000 lumens with temperature of 79 to 85f . Humidity can go to 75 to 99 and is in a terrarium.

I buy this four month ago and the plant came with those spot. This are te only ceph that I have in my terrarium with those nasty spot. How can I do ? :,(

Thanks guy

Hi Gabriel,

This looks like powdery mildew which Cephalotus is very prone to.  Powdery mildew is a very resistant, hard to treat fungus, but recently research has come out on a treatment that seems to work very well.  Mix 1 part skim milk with 10 parts water and spray it on the leaves.  This is used now by many gardeners to treat squash that always get powdery mildew in the late summer.  It is reported to work better than most chemical fungicides, which I can tell you from personal experience, that chemical fungicides don't work well on it.  Don't exceed the 1 to 10 concentration of milk to water.  More would not be better.

Store your solution in the refrigerator, and spray about once every four days to once a week.  Be sure to top-water your soil to rinse away excess milk from the soil.  Milk in the pitchers will just be digested by the plant.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!