Carnivorous Plants/dormant sundew

QUESTION: This is my first time growing my plants outside.  My sundew is in a water trough with a VFT and Pitcher plant.  The other two plants are doing well even still putting out a few new leaves.  The sundew seems to have died down. It appears to have small green buds at the base.  I tried to get a picture.  Are these resting buds?  I plan to review the DVDs for over wintering advice but I just want to make sure everything is OK now.

ANSWER: Hi Patricia,

Those are the winter resting buds.  Your sundew looks exactly like it should for this time of year.  Those are called hibernacula.  From the dead outer leaves I'm assuming this was a Drosera filiformis?  It will look like this all through the cold weather, then begin to re-emerge in the spring, unfurling like a fern.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thanks and yes you guessed the plant correctly.  I appreciate the prompt response.  I was just making sure everything was all good especially since I lost all of my tropical sundews to mislabeled water.

Hi Patricia,

I remember when I was early in my collection I thought something may have been wrong with both temperate sundews and butterworts, but they tend to go dormant early.  It's probably an adaptation to dry conditions that can be common in the late summer/early fall.  The more Southerly species such as D. tracyi and Florida forms of sundews tend to grow much later into the fall.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!