Carnivorous Plants/Dosersa filformis flower seeds

Flower shriveled up
Flower shriveled up  
Hi i have a dosera filiformis plant that i bought 2 months back. I live in virginia and the plant gets about 6 hours of direct sunlight and sits in a distilled water tray. its been doing absolutely great but over the past week it has flowered and then the flowers shriveled up. I was wondering if thats normal and if it is when will i be able to collect seeds? Thank you!

Hi Andrew,

It looks like the plant is done blooming, and is now in the process of developing the seeds.  It will take a week or two, but the stalk will turn black now, and when the seeds are ripe the pods will crack open slightly.  I like to tap the stalk over a large sheet of white paper.  If the seeds are ready, they fall out easily.  Pods will ripen from the bottom up.  This is all very normal for this plant and many other sundews.

At this time the plant itself is likely to stop producing new leaves and begin developing it's winter resting bud.  The plant will look pretty dead in about a month.  It will re-emerge next spring.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!