Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Maka Ula'ula

Question
Hi!
I'm thinking about getting Nepenthes Maka Ula'ula from you.  It says it does well in highland and lowland conditions.  I want to have it outside, misting and top watering it every day, in the summer, but the days are like lowlands and the nights are like highlands.  Can it grow well in those conditions?  It would get four hours of morning sun and be shaded by a small tree for the rest of the day.
John

Answer
Thank you for your interest in our plants!  This hybrid has proven to be a durable and vigorous grower in our greenhouse.  The designations of highland, intermediate, and lowland are very arbitrary and applies mostly to nighttime temperatures.   Many highland plants will grow fine with very warm days as long as they have a drop in temperature at night.  (Some clones of N. rajah will grow well with day temperatures of 90 as long as the night temperature drops into the 50s.)  So far, we haven't seen Maka Ula'ula requiring a nighttime drop to grow well.  At the same time, it will grow well even if it had one.  This is the beauty of the plant.  It grows well in a wide range of temperature conditions as long as its light requirements are met.  

From the description you described, it should grow well for you.  However, we're approaching autumn, and you will need to pay attention to night temperatures dropping below 50.  Avoid frost!

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest