Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Maka Ula'ula

I'm thinking about getting Nepenthes Maka Ula'ula from you.  It says it does well in highland and lowland conditions.  I want to have it outside, misting and top watering it every day, in the summer, but the days are like lowlands and the nights are like highlands.  Can it grow well in those conditions?  It would get four hours of morning sun and be shaded by a small tree for the rest of the day.

Thank you for your interest in our plants!  This hybrid has proven to be a durable and vigorous grower in our greenhouse.  The designations of highland, intermediate, and lowland are very arbitrary and applies mostly to nighttime temperatures.   Many highland plants will grow fine with very warm days as long as they have a drop in temperature at night.  (Some clones of N. rajah will grow well with day temperatures of 90 as long as the night temperature drops into the 50s.)  So far, we haven't seen Maka Ula'ula requiring a nighttime drop to grow well.  At the same time, it will grow well even if it had one.  This is the beauty of the plant.  It grows well in a wide range of temperature conditions as long as its light requirements are met.  

From the description you described, it should grow well for you.  However, we're approaching autumn, and you will need to pay attention to night temperatures dropping below 50.  Avoid frost!

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!