Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes muluensis x lowii

Question
Hi there Sarracenia Northwest,  I have bought a nepenthes muluensis x lowii recently and I want to know what is the best way to grow this hybrid. I'm aware that it has lowii ancestry in it and lowii is an ultra highland plant. Right now i have it on my sunny windowsill that I give 4+ hours of direct sunlight and when night time arrives I put it in the refrigerator that goes around 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I have successfully grown a lowland nepenthes truncata for one year and it's growing fantastically. So far my hybrid is doing great except that it lost its pitchers but not too concerned about that since the same happened to my truncata shortly after it arrived from shipping. It's a beautiful hybrid and I can't wait to see its new pitchers. Hope to hear from you thank you. Oh I almost forgot. I live in the Northwest arkansas region, I give my plants distilled water,  it's in new Zealand long fibered sphagnum moss, had this plant for about 2 weeks.

Answer
Hi Alan,

Try just growing it in your window without the refrigerator treatment.  Even for highland varieties, 40 degrees is too cold.  Depending on how low your nights are getting to, opening a window would be a better option.  As we get into fall, the nights will be cooler, and right next to a window will be colder too.  

Nepenthes (and most plants for that matter) hate being moved around so you're almost always better off to just pick a spot and leave the plant there.  If after a couple months it doesn't appear to be working, try something different, but then leave it in that new spot for quite awhile.  They need time to adapt to the micro-climate, and if they are being moved around too much, they can't do that.  Moving them around too much is one of the best ways I know to keep Nepenthes from pitchering.  Otherwise your growing conditions sound good.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest
http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest