Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Truncata Pasian Slow Growth

Nepenthes Truncata
Nepenthes Truncata  

Nepenthes Truncata
Nepenthes Truncata  

I have had a Nepenthes truncata 'Pasian' for over 2 years and it has not experienced much growth. It is roughly the same size as it was when I got it. The original growing point died almost a year ago and has been replaced with a new growing point. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is in a west facing window and gets around 4 hours of direct sunlight and indirect light for most of the rest of the day. Temperatures during the summer are around 70-80 degrees during the day and low to mid 60s at night. During the winter, the day temperatures are around 70 degrees and night temperatures are in the low 60s. The soil it is in is long fibered sphagnum moss mixed with about 30% perlite.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Jamie,

Try fertilizing if you haven't been.  Use an orchid fertilizer at 1/4 strength once every two weeks.  It may help if you can increase the ambient humidity some.  You can do this with a wide pebble tray under and having other houseplants around the Nepenthes.  Unfortunately, this variety is a slow grower anyway.  Even in our greenhouse many of the highland truncatas are very slow growing.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!