Carnivorous Plants/Pings/Drosera

Dear SNW,
Hi!  I once asked you about Nepenthes Maka Ula'ula heat tolerance, and you said most Highlanders can take hot days, as long as there are cool nights to let them recover.  Does the same go for other highland tropical, like Drosera capensis?  (Speaking of cool night plants, do your Darlingtonia californica come from the mountains or the coast?  It want to know now so that when you restock you won't sell out before I can get an answer.  It it's a mountaineer, it would love Ellensburg.)

My other question is, I heard that P. agnata does not make succulent winter leaves.  I'm going to buy Pinguicula x 'Gina' form you sometime this month.  Does it make succulent leaves?  I'm worried about leaf cuttings, which I heard you can't make with carnivorous leaves.   Is that possible to winter reproduce P. 'Gina'?

As mentioned in my previous message, the term highland is arbitrary.  It's a useful guide for Nepenthes (and orchids), but it doesn't necessarily apply to other plants.  The term specifically applies to nighttime temperature.  Drosera capensis doesn't require a drop in nighttime temperature, even though it is native to the coastal mountains of South Africa.  Instead, it prefers mild conditions both day and night.  This concept of highland might be applicable to Darlingtonia, but your watering technique and soil conditions will be have more impact on its growth than temperature.  (At this time, we do not know which clone of Darlingtonia we will release next. Both coastal and mountainous variety are hardy as long as you maintain proper soil conditions.)

As for Pinguicula, the assumption that you cannot propagate plants from carnivorous leaves is inaccurate.  You can take cuttings on both carnivorous and dormant leaves.  Some growers prefer dormant leaves because you get more leaves per plant.  I prefer large carnivorous leaves because they're easier for me to manage.  Results are the same for both types of leaves.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!