Carnivorous Plants/Venus fly trap

Hi. I'm a 12 year old vft grower from the south of england (near London) and I am wondering about my vft. It sits on my bedroom window sill (which is east facing). The sun is blocked by a few houses but it gets direct sunlight from 11-1 o'clock. We bought it from a local garden centre which gave us no information about the plant so we don't know what soil it is in. I have had the plant for 2 months now and there has been no need to repot it yet. We give it rain water. My problem is that it is the 1st of september but small brown circles are appearing near the edge of some of the leaves so im worried that it might be going into dormancy early and I have no clue what to do with it. Im not sure if the temperature is right for it. So could you suggest whether inside or outside dormancy would be best and if that is what is going on with my plant.   sorry there is no picture I took one but my laptop is misbehaving.

Hi Leah,

Two hours of sun in your window is woefully inadequate light for a Venus Flytrap.  They are full sun plants, and by that I mean the kind of sun you would need for a vegetable garden.  Almost all the carnivorous plants from North America are like that with very few being shade tolerant.  Problems you may be starting to see most likely relate to the lack of sun.

I'm going to send you to this link on our webpage about growing Venus Flytraps.  As you read, keep in mind that your climate in the U.K. is very similar to ours here in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.  What works for us should be work well there too.  After reading the article, feel free to visit me back here at Allexperts if you have additional questions.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!