Carnivorous Plants/Venus flytrap turning brown

brown flytraps.jpg
brown flytraps.jpg  
I have a problem with several of my Venus Fly traps. Several of them are getting brown color on the edges of the leaf and traps. Like a rusty color! The photo pictured has all the leaves turning brown. It is not old traps the old traps turn black. It seems to spread. I thought maybe pests. Close inspection shows no insects. Perhaps fungal? I can slightly pull on the leaf and it falls right off. It is with other flytraps that are perfectly healthy and robust growing. It is in sphagnum peat with sand, been in it for a year. I put sphagnum long fiber on top to prevent wash out of soil. Use distilled water and rain, and get 3-5 hours of direct sun a day! What could be the problem? Fungal, pests or? Any info on how to save my DC XL would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Bill,

Tell me a bit more about how you are watering.  Do you have the pots in a water tray?  How deep is the water?  What have your temperatures been like in the last few weeks?  Does your pot have drain holes?  If possible, send me a photo of your other flytraps, and a picture of your general growing area.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!