Carnivorous Plants/drosera binata var. multiida dormancy

I'm just outside of Winston-Salem, NC within climate zone 7. I want to try growing drosera binata var. multifida or even drosera binata var dichotoma but I'm concerned about dormancy. It gets very cold here (occasionally down to -5). Would they be able to make it through winter with a good mulching and tarp or should I just move on to a different drosera species? Much obliged!

ANSWER: Hi Daniel,

Just in pots it will be too cold for both of them.  Of the two, D. binata var. dichotoma is the hardier coming from Southern Australia.  If it's planted in a large planter or bog garden they will come back from their roots even in temperatures that cold.  We had a big one in a 14 inch pot that came back from the roots after a couple nights down to 7 degrees F.  Tarping and mulching would be a must.  D. multifida is definitely more tender, especially the "extrema" form.

I'm assuming you already grow North American sundews such as D. intermedia, D. filiformis and D. rotundifolia?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Actually, no I don't. I'm fairly new to sundews and am just now starting out. I've focused mainly on Sarracenia and just recently decided to try my hand with a few flytraps as well. All are in my bog fairly heavily mulched and any sundews I get will go there too. Would you recommend one of the sundew species you just mentioned as a beginner sundew? I probably should start on some of the easier ones before I start off on drosera multifida or drosera dichotomna. I appreciate your advice.

Hi Daniel,

All three of those sundews are native to North Carolina and should grow well for you.  The one that you may need to try a couple different clones of, if you can get locational data, is D. rotundifolia.  It usually grows at higher elevations or further North, but some strains will tolerate your hot summers.  D. intermedia and D. filiformis will grow like weeds easily re-seeding and spreading.  You could also add D. capillaris which grows as an annual in the Southeast.  It will die in winter and rapidly grow form dropped seed in the early summer.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!