Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Peltata Seed Germination

I recently got some D. Peltata seeds but am unsure on how I should go about germinating them. Should I go ahead and try and get them to germinate or set them up for their dry summer? Would they also need any special treatment as several sites recommend smoke/heat stratification while others say they would be fine. They would get potted up in a Texas west facing window alongside other tropical sundews that have been growing well and Nepenthes.
Thank you

Hi Preston,

Fortunately, D. peltata isn't like many other tuberous sundews that need all sorts of elaborate treatments to germinate.  Just sow them, give them a month, and they should germinate.  They will start off looking like little D. rotundifolia, then eventually start producing the upright stalks.  When it starts getting hot in the summer they will go dormant and produce the tuber.  When that happens keep the soil damp, but not super wet, and wait until late fall when it cools down, and you should see them return.  In Texas a window should work ok for them.

Here's a good resource for tuberous Drosera:

Our experience with this group other than D. peltata is very limited.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!