Carnivorous Plants/My flytraps are coming out of dormancy

Question
The Earliest Ones
The Earliest Ones  

Red Dragon
Red Dragon  
Hey Sarracenia Northwest,

I've been growing carnivorous plants for about 3 years now and this is the first time this has happened with my entire batch of flytraps. I leave them outside until they experience frost consistently down to the mid 20s overnight and then put them in the only place i can over winter, my enclosed west side basement window that only gets about an hour or two of direct sun and where a draft keeps it 40-50 degrees max. This year they all went dormant by mid/end November and now thanks to the very sunny (and yet cold) weather we have been having in West Virginia it seems that all of my flytraps want to wake up. If they wake up now the dormancy will have lasted slightly over 2 months.

My question is should I just roll with it and let them get a jump on spring by putting them in my sunniest window beside my still pitchering nepenthes, or should I leave them where they are and let February force them back into dormancy?

The sarracenia Extreme green I got is still in dormancy as well as the sundew. Its only affected the fly traps.

Answer
Hi Patrick,

It looks like the sun is warming their pots to the point where the plants think it's spring.  If you have a window you could move them to that will stay cool and relatively sunless, (light, but no direct sun) they will probably stay more or less dormant.  They would only grow very slow until you could consider moving them back outside.  Otherwise, do just roll with it.  If you're having nice sunny weather move them to the sunny window.  They've had two months dormancy, and that should be enough.

The only added advice I'd give is to cut off any flowers, especially if you see them trying to form plantlets on the flower stalks.  When this happens it's a condition called vegetative apomixis, and in flytraps it often leads to the death of the mother plant.  We've seen it lots in flytraps kept in a greenhouse where they come out of dormancy early.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest
growcarnivorousplants.com

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest