Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes ventrata

Hello - I wanted you to know that I have bought plants from you over the last year and that they are doing beautifully in a 10 gal. aquarium - flytraps, sundews and American pitcher - all growing in peat and live sphagnum moss. I put the aquarium outside in the garden during the summer and bring it in next to a really cold window in the winter. Even the flytraps have done well - amazing I think. Just want to tell you this.

My question is this - my wife and daughter just gave me a Nepenthes. It came from a florist in New York City with no tag. I have researched and found it is a Nepenthes ventrata. When you cut the pitchers from the leaves, will that leaf put out another pitcher or will pitchers only come from new leaves - similar to a lot of slipper orchids. Also, we put water in the pitchers and got two crickets from the pet shop and put in two pitchers. I have many orchids, so have two humidifiers on them and they do well in a southern window with filtered light. This is where I have the Nepenthes so I'm hoping it does will. But my main question was about the leaves putting out additional pitchers once they have been cut.

Thanks so much for any help you can give. I love watching your videos online and will definitely be ordering more plants. All the best.

Hi Faser,

Glad to hear the North American plants are doing well for you.

On Nepenthes, as strange as it looks, a pitcher is actually part of the leaf.  Once it's fully formed, growth is done.  When a pitcher dies, it's just the first stage of a leaf being on it's way out, so they don't ever grow another one on that leaf.  The main photosynthetic part of the leaf will often live for quite awhile after the demise of a pitcher.  New pitchers are always on a new leaves.  It just looks very different from plants like Sarracenia where the entire leaf is a pitcher, or Cephalotus where they grow distinctly different pitcher and regular leaves.

Happy to hear the videos have been helpful.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!