Carnivorous Plants/Ping/Nepenthes

Pink Ping
Pink Ping  
I recently purchased a Pinguicula x 'Aphrodite' from you.  It grows with my healthy sundews under a 28 Watt Cool White Flourescent Lamp.  It used to be pink, as shown here.  Now it's all green.  Is that bad?

Also, I have a Poi Dog Nepenthes I ordered from you, and I think it has Highland ancestry.  I'm worried it might be too highland for it's growing area, (65-70 degrees F), so what are symptoms of being too warm to look out for, just in case?
Thanks a lot,

ANSWER: Hi John,

Aphrodite can vary between light green to pink.  In our greenhouse they were under quite bright conditions.  As long as the leaves are well developed and sticky, you're fine.  We have a very large one in our house that sits in a South Window that is all green, and it's beautiful.  It will get tinges on pink in the summer when we have more sun.

65-70 F is just fine for your Poi Dog.  Most of those have mixed ancestry including lowlander, so they actually do better when it's a bit warmer.  Daytime near 80 with night cool-downs makes they very happy!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: I would still like to know the symptoms for a highland Nepenthes being kept too warm, in case I ever (unbeknownst to me) got a highlander.  What are the symptoms?

Hi John,

It's nothing too dramatic.  The plant just slows down in growth; pitcher production stops.  Leaves get smaller.  Over the course of a month or two nothing changes, then the plant just dies.

What's more helpful to do is educate yourself on which Nepenthes are true highlanders in needing the night cool-down.  Examples that come to mind immediately are N. villosa, N. spectablis, N. hamata, N. lowii, N. rajah.  Plants that are frequently labeled as highland are actually intermediate in how they behave such as N. sanguinea, N. ventricosa, and many N. maxima forms.  Household temperatures are perfect for them.  A good example of some plants labeled as lowland, but respond well to house temperatures would be N. truncata lowland form, and some N. mirablis forms.  Hybrids are very plant by plant.

Welcome to the world of Nepenthes.  Just like orchids I wish there was an all-encompassing guide to this, but it's really a matter of getting to know certain plants, and which ones will work for your particular environment.  Getting involved on cp forums is very helpful for this.  That way you can see what has work for folks in particular growing environments.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!