Carnivorous Plants/"Poi Dog" Nepenthes not pitchering

Red Leaves
Red Leaves  

Basal shoot?
Basal shoot?  
Hi Jeff and Jacob,

I wanted your opinion of this this "Poi Dog" Nepenthes I purchased from you in April of 2014. It has never produced pitchers, but has had a really rough life as I am a complete novice.  First, it was too dry and nearly died.  Once I got the watering down (I use RO water), light was an issue.  I assumed it wasn't getting enough light as the new leaves were dark green and very large, and no pitchers.  So I changed the location to a South window (I'm in Scottsdale, AZ.) about 3-4 months ago.  I do not use any artificial light.  After having a leaf broken and being uprooted by my toddler, it really took off.  It seemed too large for the small pot it came in (top heavy and falling over) so I repotted it to the larger pot it is in now about 2 weeks ago.  The new leaves are reddish in color and I noticed a basal shoot (?).  You can see the Red Leopard beside it is happy and producing larger and larger pitchers.  There are also orchids growing here that are putting on bloom spikes.  So I think the lighting is ok, and the watering is figured out.  I'm afraid I shocked it by repotting (yellow leaves), then being toppled over (2 times actually).  If this plant actually pitchers, it should get the award for the "most hardy" nepenthes!
Is there anything else I can do for this poor plant?  (Toddler leaves it alone now!)  Thank you!

Hi Petra,

Overall the plant looks great.  Disturbance and change of growing conditions are always factors that will inhibit pitchering, so what you're experiencing doesn't seem at all unusual.  If you recently repotted, it would have lost pitchers if it would have had some before.  Even growers in the tropics see pitcher drop after transplanting.

Right now it's mostly just time that you need.  A weak fertilizer would help too, but you're most likely to see pitcher production when our day length hits 12 hours.  In addition to the disturbance your plant has already gone through, short days make many species stop pitchering.  If you fertilize just use an orchid fertilizer mixed at 1/4 strength, and mist the leaves with it once a week.  By late spring you should be seeing some pitchers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!