Carnivorous Plants/watering Cephalotus follicularis

l.  I water Cephallotus f. when the top of the soil is barely damp.  I water all around the plant until the water drains through the pot.  I do NOT pour water on the plant. Is this correct?
2.Can this plant stand in water?  If so, how much water?

Hi Lila,

For winter, top watering is what you want to do.  Only allow a very shallow amount of water to remain in the tray, and let that water get used up before you water again.  Cephalotus should not sit in water for extended periods of time.  Root rot from being too wet is the #1 way people loose this plant.  You may read on forums of people leaving theirs in water all them time, but our experience has been disasterous with this, especially in winter.

During summer when it's much hotter, and the plant is using more water, you can allow a little more water to remain in the tray, but no more than an 1/8", and as I mentioned before, let the plant use it all before you water again.

Watering the plant itself isn't a big deal if you do it in the morning and allow it to evaporate over the day.  It can actually help wash spores away of powdery mildew which is a common disease Cephalotus can get.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!