Carnivorous Plants/repotting vs deviding

This year I recieved three plants ( S. Hank, S. Ladies in Waiting, and S. Leucophylla x Minor) that were purchased from you and are in 4 inch pots.  They have doubled if not tripled in size over the summer ( to the point where they are top heavy and actually topple over if given the chance) and are now very crowded in their pots.  I plan to repot next spring but what I was wondering is should I go ahead and try to devided them at that time or should I just put them in the six inch pots as is and maybe devide them next year?  I was surprised at how much they grew compared to the other sarracenia that I have.

Hi Patricia,

Those are all varieties that are quite vigorous.  Late fall the is worst time to divide, so I would wait until late winter or early spring to do that.  When you decide to divide is a personal judgement call.  If you're looking to increase the flock, and you have multiple crowns, you can easily divide.  If you want bigger spectacular plants, then move them to larger pots.

Of the plants you mentioned, divide the Ladies in Waiting sooner rather than later.  This one can get weedy and prone to crown rot if it gets real large.  I would say if it's starting to fill a 5 or 6 inch pot, it's probably time.  The other two can go awhile.  Both can get spectacularly large.  Many clones of S. leucophylla x S. minor (S. x excellens) can produce jaw-dropping late season foliage.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!