Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Leucophylla Tarnok Color fading

vibrant/faded pitchers
vibrant/faded pitchers  
Hi, I have had one of your Sarracenia Leucophylla Tarnoks since July and it started producing beautiful reddish pink pitchers since September, but their vibrant color quickly fades after a week or so to white with brownish red venation. I live in san jose, CA in a zone 9 where the humidity can be very low on hot days but increases at might. they are in an 8 inch pot and I keep the water table half way up the pot regularly with distilled water from Walmart. their soil is 50/50 peat and perlite and they are under full direct sun all day. their growth is vigorous and they catch an amazing amount of bugs. is this fade in color a problem? and if so what can I do to maintain their vibrant color?

Hi Ryan,

Good news and bad news.  Good news, there's nothing wrong with your plant.  Bad news, this is just how this variety grows.  New shoots start off red, then brighten to the pure white and red characteristic of Sarracenia leucophylla.  The Tarnok variety seems to do this more than many typical leucos, but it is very normal.

What you do have to look forward to is how big a clump of Tarnoks can get.  We have a clump in our bathtub bog garden in the nursery that has a rhizome clump almost a foot across.  Since you have a longer growing season, you should see very nice large late season pitchers as the plant gets bigger.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!