Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Rubra Dormancy

Question
Sarracenia
Sarracenia  

Sarracenia
Sarracenia  
Good Afternoon,

I purchased a Sarracenia Rubra (Canebrake) from your online store in late Spring of this year. The plant has grown exceptionally well and has only had slight browning on a few pitchers since the Fall season has started. The plant is still in its original pot and soil since I have had it. I would like some help mainly about winter dormancy care and what exactly I should do. The plant is on a partially-shaded patio in North Carolina in a USDA Zone 7b. What should I do for prolonged frost (not extremely typical here, but it can happen some Winters)? I was also wondering if I should repot with new soil once the dormancy subsides around Spring?

Attached is a picture of the rhizome, as well as the plant's largest and healthiest pitcher.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Matthew,

In North Carolina, unless you are up in the mountains, (zone 7b I'm assuming Piedmont) you don't have to do much of anything for winter unless you're predicted to have a hard freeze.  Normal overnight frosts in the 20's for short periods are of little consequence.  If it's predicted that you are going to have a week or more of temperatures in the teens or colder, then move the plant to a cool area indoors such as a North window or and unheated garage.  Once your weather is back to just rain, then back outside it should go.

Be cautious over the winter with having your plant on the shaded porch.  It gives some protection from heavy rain and temperatures, but shade and cool conditions are a perfect recipe for mold that can attack the plant's rhizome.  Having a plant out in the open is better since the rain and UV light help ward that off.  From the appearance of your plant I would say your plant needs a bit more sun anyway.  This rubra subspecies should be almost yellow this time of year.

Repotting in fresh soil in the spring is a great idea.  I would move it up to a 4 or 5" pot if it's currently in a 3" pot.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest
http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest