Carnivorous Plants/Sulfur fungicide and Neem Oil

Hello.  Your newsletter last week said to spray hardy sundews with a sulfur based fungicide.  I have so far only fund one that also contains pyrethrins.  Will the pyrethrins hurt the sundew?  If so, what fungicide brand do you recommed?

You didn't mention Sarracenia fall care.  Should I be using Neem oil on them now, or wait longer?

Thank you.

Hi Dresden,

Since you're in Oregon you don't need to worry about the fungicide as long as your hardy plants are outside in the open and can get rained on.  The combination of UV light and flushing action of the rain (if we ever get any this year) makes this not much of a problem in the Pacific Northwest.  Growers who have to put their plants in a cold frame all winter in much colder parts of the country need to apply fungicide to prevent mold in the dark, damp conditions.  In Western Oregon and Washington I don't recommend having plants in a cold frame or garage except during hard freezes where the temperatures might be in the teens.  Otherwise, back out in the rain they go.

The video podcasts and newsletter are meant to be just a supplement to the Grow Carnivorous Plants DVD series.  Really all you need to do to Sarracenia right now is clip dead leaves and keep them watered.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!