Carnivorous Plants/Frozen King Henry Venus Fly Trap

I recently to delivery of two very nice King Henry Venus fly traps.  As recommended I put the outside on the patio, in about 1 inch of RO water.  No sooner than I did that it started snowing and temperatures dropped accordingly, to between 4 and 20 degrees, when the water and plants pretty much froze.  I saw online that you should try to prevent freezing, but once frozen you should not try to thaw them artificially - if frozen leave frozen.  They are now no longer frozen as temperatures have risen, and I plan to move them to the garage prior to any future freezes. Just wondering if you could confirm I'm doing the right thing for the plants, and if not would you please advise?
Jeff Blake
Cedar Fals, Iowa

Hi Jeff,

Yes.  Depending on how cold your garage gets that will be a better place for them to overwinter.  Venus flytraps are from a Zone 8 climate, and you're Zone 5a in Cedar Rapids.  To spend the winter outside they would need to be well buried in mulch for the winter.  One night probably didn't hurt them, but temperatures below 20 for any length of time they need protection.  Fortunately, since you got them from us, they were already acclimated to frost.

Ideally you want them between about 28 and 50 degrees for the winter.  Since you have only a couple plants, a garage can do the job if it stays in the 30's in there, or a cold windowsill can do the job too.  It's good to spray them with a sulfur based fungicide for either place to prevent mold problems.  For either the garage or windowsill, keep the soil most, but not waterlogged for the winter.  When growth resumes in the spring, return to tray watering.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!