Carnivorous Plants/lighting

I have a lighting question. Do these LED lights from China work? The prices are low,and they claim the plant only needs the Red and Blue spectrum.
I've been useing the walmart brand of the full spectrum, useing two 60 watt equivalent bulbs. Those 100 watts get to hot.

Hi Steven,

The LED lights work.  They can be very different from unit to unit, so if you get one you just have to experiment at first to see what kind of results you are getting and adjust the distance from the plants.  LED's can be so bright, yet they give off little heat, your plants can be getting much more light than it seems.  They use mostly red and blue diodes since that is where chlorophyll absorbs the most energy.

Having said that, LED's are still in their infancy with CP growers.  We use them in our Nepenthes greenhouse, but we've had to make adjustments, and they can be a little tricky.  As you're finding too, there are so many different units out there, that it boggles the mind.

On the other hand, white light sources, while not as energy efficient, are a know commodity. I wasn't sure what kind of bulbs you had from Walmart, but with traditional lights you only want to use fluorescent or Compact Fluorescent lights.  All standard incandescent bulbs are inappropriate even if they are called "grow lights".  Sylvania "Spot Grow" is an example of this.  Don't use those.  A couple good all around options for a small plant collection would be a 48" T-5 (two-tube) fixture, or a standard T-8 or T-12 shoplight type fixture.  Use the "Daylight" (6500K) tubes.  The T-5's are more expensive, but are much brighter.  One 48" fixture gives you enough spaces for about two standard nursery flats of plants.  Combining a light with a window can give very good results.  We talk about lighting in more detail in our volume #2 DVD.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!