Carnivorous Plants/pitcher plant

QUESTION: I have a pitcher plant that has been growing inside all Summer. I just read where it needs cold weather to go dormant. Should I set it outside now?  The temps get to the low 50s at night. Or do I need to ease it into the outdoors. thanks

What kind of pitcher plant do you have?  Pitcher plant is a generic term for roughly 4 different genus of plants.  Is it a Sarracenia?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Yes it is a sarracenia.

Hi Tim,

Yes, put it outside.  Just watch your temperatures.  50's isn't even remotely cold for a Sarracenia, and as long as temperatures are above freezing, you're fine.  If a cold spell threatens, then you'll need to bring it to a sheltered area such as a garage.  They can handle temperatures to the mid 20's for brief periods in their pots, but much colder than that and they need protection.  Here's some exceptions.  Super-cold hardy plants include S. purpurea ssp. purpurea, S. rubra jonesi and S. oreophila.  They will be fine in all but the coldest weather.  If your plant is S. rosea or S. purpurea ssp. venosa, just leave it in the window.  They do fine that way.  Hybrids are all over the place on hardiness.  Here's more information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!