Carnivorous Plants/Bending Drosophyllum

Question
Bending Drosophyllum
Bending Drosophyllum  

Bending Drosophyllum 2
Bending Drosophyllum 2  
Hi Jeff,

I placed my Drosophyllum outdoor since the temperatures are still fine for it here in Germany. However, the plant is bending and "falling" as you can see in the attached pictures.

I donīt know it has something to do because over the last 2 months the plants were outside so they could not get a thicker stem, however, what could I do? Just leave it as it is?

And what is now the correct rule about watering in winter? Should it be more or less? Somewhere I read it should be more watered than in summer...

Thanks and have a nice day!

JP

Answer
Hi JP,

This is definitely a low light issue.  Your plant was in a low-light location, so it produced a long lanky stem.  It probably has more light now, so the growing point is perking up.  Not a whole lot you can do with this except give it time.  If you start getting cold weather again and have to move it back indoors, you may want to consider putting a light over it.  I do that with one in my house, and it works well.  I have one plant with a 32 watt CFL about 4cm from the top of the plant on a natural daylight cycle.  It looks very normal with that amount of light with a little ambient light from a window.  Like Germany, however, we don't see the sun much in winter.  We are on 23 consecutive days of measurable rain now, and the wettest December on record for Western Oregon.

One thing your plant may begin doing is producing side shoots.  I haven't experimented with Drosophyllum enough to know yet if you can cut the top off and successfully get multiple new shoots forming.  I know taking cuttings from these is super difficult.  A few folks have done it, but you don't hear of many success stories.

With watering, get in the habit of feeling the soil.  It should be damp to the touch, but no wet feet.  Don't allow the pot to stand in water for long periods.

Good Growing and Happy Holidays!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest
http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest