Carnivorous Plants/Flower... now?

QUESTION: So I got a flava var. maxima this year because I loved the extreme green I bought from you. It is sending up a flower stalk, now, it just started up. I've never had a sarracenia send up a flower before so I don't know if this is the normal time of year for it or it's just really confused. Honestly I just don't know what to do with it.

ANSWER: Hi Jesse,

Where do you have the plant right now?  What are the current growing conditions and temperatures?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Outside in Portland Oregon, I was surprised because we've just had a bit of a cold snap.

ANSWER: Hi Jesse,

I'm not sure what made the plant do that, unless there's something about the micro-climate where you have the plant that makes it a little warmer.  It's not at all unusual for Sarracenia to send up an occasional Fall flower in September, but it's super rare for this to happen when the plant is supposed to be dormant, and it's been cold.  The only example of this I've seen is we've had some S. leucophylla "Tarnok" produce flowers in winter, but these are tissue cultured plants that have been messed up a bit by hormones.  Your S. flava maxima was nothing of the sort.  

Send me a photo if you get a chance.  I'm curious to see this.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Winter Flower
Winter Flower  
QUESTION: I also posted this question on the ICPS forums and most people suggested I clip the flower stalk. I bought the plant originally from Cook's Carnivores, I don't think he does the tissue culture route.

Hi Jesse,

Very odd.  I've never seen a flava do that mid-winter.  You can even see some frost damage on the edges of the flower.  I would say clip it off too.  Unless you bring the plant fully out of dormancy under lights, this is probably not beneficial for it to be doing this at this time of year.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!