Carnivorous Plants/LEDs

Hello Jeff or Jacob, I am inquiring about light for carnivorous plants. My T-5s are starting to burn out now and I want to experiment with different lighting systems. ie: LEDs I want to start out with something cheap like this: Do you guys think it'll work?

Hi Eric,

This is probably a great light to start with.  It's relatively strong, at a good price, and well rated.  

So far we are finding LED's to be a bit of a minefield compared to white light sources.  There's a mind-blowing different number of units out there, and plants can behave differently under them compared to traditional fluorescent or HID lighting.  You'll probably have to play around with distance from your plants to see how they do.  We had to move ours back at first (Apollo 95 watt) with our Nepenthes because we were seeing excessive darkening on leaves.  Since they give off no heat, and make it hard to see color with that glaring purple, you have to check on your plants in white light to see how they are doing.  If you can find that sweet spot, however, they will save you lots in power costs.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!