Carnivorous Plants/Mystery plant

Mystery Sundew
Mystery Sundew  
Side view
Side view  

I purchased a drosera adelae this past spring. It wasn't watered a few days and died. I noticed a small plant growing and thought it came back from roots, however after growing about 6 months it's  easy to grow but isnt adelae. I've been growing it under 4 t-5 florescent lights with temps 70-80 day 60s at night it is thriving with many other Cp's. Its reminiscent to drosera oblanceolata, I don't have experience with that species so it's just a guess. Can you help identify this plant? I just want to make sure it has the right requirements.
Thank you,

Although I'm not 100% sure, you may have a nice little score here.  This looks like a sundew hybrid.  It's most likely Drosera rotundifolia crossed with a tropical D. intermedia or possibly the Hawaiian D. anglica.  The leaves clearly look look like rotundifolia, but I can see the elongation at the petiole more like an intermedia or anglica.  Also, you're growing it in tropical conditions, and a rotundifolia would have tried to go dormant or died.  The same would be true for the natural North American hybrids of those plants such as D.x obovata and D.x beleziana.  Check out the photos on this page:

Did this plant come from California Carnivores by any chance?

Since this plant looks like a hybrid there's a good chance it's sterile.  It would be good to take some leaf cuttings of it.  It's a really nice specimen.  I would be interested in getting a couple leaves to try and strike if you could spare them. :)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Very interesting! I purchased this specimen from cooks carnivores. I would happily give you a few cuttings. Do you think I should keep growing this sundew in tropical conditions, or see if it will go dormant?

Hi Tom,

I would just keep it growing the way you have it.  If this is Ivan's Paddle, it's sub-tropical, and Tetraploid, meaning it's not sterile.  If it blooms, tickle the flowers with a paint brush and see if it makes seeds.  If it is Ivan's Paddle, this would also explain how it popped up randomly on another pot.  Sundews are quite happy to spread their little seeds everywhere!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!