Carnivorous Plants/Outdoor Temperatures CP

Hi Jeff!

Hope you guys are doing fine!

Over the "winter" I brought Drosophyllum, Cephalotus and D. regia inside home...

However, this winter is not really a winter in West Germany. We currently have day temperatures of 12-14 C (53-57 F) and night temperatures of 8-10 C (46-50 F), therefore I was wondering if I can keep the plants outside? At least they would get more sun than on my south windows sill, and air circulation is better too...

How do you think?

As said, Cephalotus, Drosophyllum and Drosera regia. Plants are all about one year old.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Hi JP,

Keeping all three of those plants outside in those temperatures is fine.  Just don't let them sit in water.  Watch your temperatures, and if more "normal" weather returns you'll want to move them back in.  All of those plants, however, can tolerate a light freeze.  Here's a thread on a forum you might find interesting:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!