Carnivorous Plants/Types of pots for CP

JPs plants - Round pots
JPs plants - Round po  

New pots considered
New pots considered  
Dear Jeff,

I hope you had a nice Christmas eve.

I have always grown CP in round pots. Now approx. 5"-6" wide in diameter but also in depth. (attached picture 1)

I am considering repotting my plants in square shaped pots, these are black and usually deeper. 6" in width, 7,5" in depth, the base of the pot is a bit narrower with 4,5". The pots are black. (attached picture 2)

This idea came to my mind since I have seen often people growing their CP in these black squared pots, I think in the US the pots are of dark green color. Also I can save space when arranging the plants on the shelve with squared shaped pots.

Do you think it would be beneficial? Does it make sense that the pots are deeper? Might it be better for the roots?

Thank you for your recommendation and have a nice day!

Hi JP,

This seems to be one of those great debates that rages on, but I can find little empirical evidence one way or the other.  I actually used to use square pots since they were much more space efficient, but a few years ago switched to round.  I had heard anecdotally that round pots were better for a plant's roots, but but some forums from Marijuana growers were showing better root development in square pots because the roots didn't tend to circle the pot.  I don't see hard evidence either way.  For cp growers the root issue probably only comes into play with Sarracenia and Nepenthes since most other cp don't have very extensive root systems.  Drosophyllum it would affect too.

Our main reason for switching back to round was aesthetics.  People just like the look of round pots better.  If that wasn't an issue I'd still be using square pots since they are so much more space efficient and easy to transport.

The bottom line to answer your question, as long as the plant has adequate space, use what works for you!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!