Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes ????

Rich\'s plant
Rich's plant  

Rich\'s plant
Rich's plant  
I have a nepenthes plant that is a super vigorous grower.  I would like to know what kind of nepenthes it is.
In three years it went from a small 5 inch plant to over three feet with 9 inch pitchers in early summer.  The pitchers seem to get a little smaller towards winter (New York) and no pitchers in the winter.  Once outside in early summer it goes nuts.  I've also taken many cuttings and they're all growing like crazy with 5 inch pitchers after a year.  I have enough plants and are going to let it grow out and see how big I can get it.  Let me know if you can identify it.  Others look close but not identical. Thanks Rich

Hello Rich,

Your plant looks most like a N. sanguinea, however; the pitchers are a bit green. There are many varieties and hybrids of N. sanguinea, so this is not surprising. If the plant received just a bit more light it may begin to show even more coloration around the pitchers and lids in the hues of orange and red as some of the pitchers appear to be showing in the interior spots in their pitchers. If you want the plant to pitcher year round, place some additional artificial florescent lights over it year round of at least 3000 to 6000 lumens (one to two cool white shop lights). N. sanguinea is a easy grower and nice looking plant that pitchers rather often.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.