Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes cutting

Hello SNW!
I want to take a Nepenthes cutting from a plant in a greenhouse.  (I think it's probably either DeRoose Alata or Miranda, one of the more vigorous ones that is all over the place)  I want to know if live sphagnum is a good medium to start the cutting in.  I just got your DVD about Nepenthes cuttings, and read in The Savage Garden that pure long fibred sphagnum is a good starting media, but was wondering if live sphagnum would work, because it's all I've got except for the slow water method.

Hi John,

Live sphagnum works great.  It also gives you good indicators of the media being damp enough since it will start to look dry quickly if it's too dry.  With Nepenthes it won't grow too fast either the way it can with little plants like sundews.  You should get good results with it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!