Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes in trouble

5days ago I transplanted my nepenthes turancata and he has developed severe yellowing and even browning on all but the newest leaf! I had it in a pearlite peat and sand mix and moved to sphagnum moss and perlite.  What's wrong should I transplant again or wait it out!? Much thanks for any advice:-)

Hello Aaron,

A few more things to look at are the newest leaves and pitchers. If there are new leaves still growing and not turning brown and if the newest leaves are still forming pitchers as normal, then the plant should be fine. Nepenthes can go into shock from transplanting and may lose several older leaves and pitchers quickly as they seek to expend energy on new growth to reestablish their roots and newer leaves; this is normal. Should the newer leaves and pitchers stop growing or begin dying off, then you have a real problem. Since you have already transplanted the plant, just wait it out and see how it does.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.