Carnivorous Plants/New Venus Flytrap on The Way - 2 questions

This afternoon I ordered a Venus Flytrap from your web site along with a couple of bags of potting soil. I have two questions:

1) It is cold here in Massachusetts. The plant will have to stay indoors until May. How much light does a dormant Venus Flytrap need. I can put it in the basement which is 54 degrees F by a window but it won't get much light. Otherwise it will have to go in a room by a window but the temp will be in the mid-60's. Which should I go with?

2) When is the best time to repot the Venus Flytrap? Can I re-pot it when I first get it or should I wait a week or should I wait until it is just coming out of its dormancy?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

Early March is when we tend to see the first signs of new growth here in the Northwest.  I would say when you get your plants put them in the sunniest window you have.  We've had a freakishly warm winter (sorry, I know you guys have had a brutal winter :(, so they may be just starting to grow at this time.

Right now this the best time to transplant.  While the plant is still mostly dormant they experience the least shock.  You can transplant them later in the season (done it many times), but they experience a bit of a set-back if they are in full growth.  A 5 or 6" pot is ideal for a flytrap.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!