Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia purpurea

Sarracenia purpurea
Sarracenia purpurea  
Hello again :)

So Im from Puerto Rico and last time I was asking about how to put my sarracenia purpurea to sleep (dormancy) You guys told me something about changing lighting time
To 9-10 hours a day and that what i just did! So plant (see in the picture) stop growing and remaing those traps (very red).  What should I do know ? I put other plants in my refrigerator (sarracenia sarlette belle) and they survive four month with no light and now they are waking from dormancy doing fine with huge new traps. Bit this purpurea I leave it in the terrarium to experiment. This plant doesnt recieve the frozen time like my others and I notice she stop growing like a regular dormancy just using the light metod. I was woundering If that can be bad for the plant, or is this a good way. And
How should I start the trigger to see
New leaves amd waking up this plant ?

I change lighting in dicember should I wait more time ?

Sarracenia in Hawaii
Sarracenia in Hawaii  

Venus flytraps in Hawaii
Venus flytraps in Hawa  
Hi Gabriel,

All you have to do to get the purpurea growing again is bump up the light cycle to 14 hours.  Be sure you've given it two months on the short cycle to give it enough dormancy.  This will work with the other Sarracenia.  It may just be a matter of what is easiest for you.  You just have to be vigilant about monitoring for fungus on the ones you keep in the refrigerator.

Sarracenia don't seem to need as long, or as cold of a dormancy as Venus Flytraps or temperate sundews and butterworts.  I've included a photo I took a couple weeks ago in Hawaii of a grower there.  He does great with them, and they get about a two month dormancy naturally as the days shorten in winter.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!