Carnivorous Plants/Sundew Problems

I'm having a particular problem with a Sundew plant I'm growing indoors (D. multifida, Extrema). The plant will put out tendrils which grow very well for a week or two, and start to form the sticky dew. Then, the tendril will just die, and a new one will arise. This has been happening consistently for a few months. What could be the issue? Here are my growth parameters:

--TaoTronics E27 LED Grow light, 12 hours per day.
--Watering with distilled water a couple times per week (keep soil wet)
--Light is 1.5 feet from the plant.
--Still in the original pot/soil I bought it in last summer (bought it from you guys at the Saturday Market in Portland).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Andrew,

Thank-you for the additional information.  Most likely your light is too far away.  Sundews are very high-light plants, so move the light to about 6 inches away.  Give the plant about two weeks and see what happens.

D. binata multifida should have dark red leaves (what you're calling tendrils).  Are they dark red, or just green?  If they are green, that's a dead give away that it needs more light.  If you can combine your light with light from a window, that can be a very good combination.

To help you further I would need a photo of your plant.  Be sure to take the photo in white light since the LED would not give an accurate color of the plant.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!