Carnivorous Plants/Trimming off phyllodia?

Hi Jeff!

Before dormancy I trimmed off all pitches from Sarracenia, except for Phyllodia leaves.

Now that growing season is going to start again soon, I was wondering if I should remove the phyllodias or not? These are still green and alive.

How about Sarracenia purpurea and psittacina traps that overwintered and are now still looking fine? Do they have to be removed before new growths occurs?

Thanks a tons and have a nice Sunday!

Hi JP,

It's fine, and beneficial to leave the phyllodia.  The plant does some photosynthesis from those, and they are not dense enough to block light the way old pitchers do.  Just cut them off later in the growing season when they start to brown.

With Sarracenia purpurea forms and psittacina, only cut off dead material.  Leave living leaves.  Both of those plants tend to have very small rhizomes, so they don't have the energy reserves the bigger trumpet pitchers do.  They need their surviving leaves at the beginning of the season.  Also, they still catch bugs on warmer winter days.  I've seen many a fly captured here in the Pacific Northwest during a warmer winter day.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!