Carnivorous Plants/Cold Frames

Good Doy Jeff and Jacob

I hope you are both well.

In my never ending quest to take my plants out of their winter home as early as possible I was thinking about using my makeshift cold frame as protection for them while the night time temps here still dip below freezing.

My cold frames, are PVC pipe covered with a 'clear' plastic. Not so much clear as frosted. In any case, I am thinking that I could just keep my plants under the plastic till the nights start averaging above freezing.

Right now nighttime temps are still dipping into the teens, so I know that is still way too cold. The question is, what is the lowest temps that my plants would tolerate with no damage while under the cold frame.

90 miles north of NYC
Zone 5A

Thanks for all your help
Hope the day shines on you

Hi Nicole,

If you're still seeing teens, I'd wait a bit longer.  Once plants begin emerging from dormancy, and depending on what species you have in there, upper 20's is the most they can handle.  Here's the most delicate plants if they come out of dormancy too soon:  Drosera trayci, D. filiformis "Florida Giant", and sometimes Venus flytraps.

If you do the Visqueen cover, be sure to open it up quite a bit on sunny days.  You don't want it getting too warm in there if nights are still frigid.  It'll bring the plants out of dormancy prematurely, and you would get some losses then.  You want them to emerge at a pace consistent with the weather.  The Visqueen is fine as a night cover.  We use it in spring mostly for a rain shield, but the slight temperature increase from it does make plants grow faster.  If it gets sunny, we roll up the sides.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!