Carnivorous Plants/Re-Use Dripping Water

Dear Jeff,

another week, another question...I am now in full "CP Mode"!

I have a few hanging wide baskets with Sarracenia. After watering, water flows out from downside very quickly. I was thinking, what a waste of water, it humidifies the soil, but mostly flows out again...

My question is, can I use the water that flows out, or that which is collected in trays when watering from top, to water other plants? I had some doubts because of the light MaxSea fertilizer I will use on my plants, however, it is highly diluted and used on any plants anyway...

Thanks a lot Jeff, I really appreciate all your help so far! I owe you some Belgian beer!

Hi JP,

If you've been fertilizing, I wouldn't use it on any other cp.  It would be great, however, for some regular plants, especially acid lovers like Rhododenrons and Azaleas.  Potatoes are great with acid pH too.

When it comes to fertilizing Sarracenia, many really, really don't need it.  Any of the upright types tend to be voracious bug catchers, so they get more than enough nutrients, particularly if they are growing outside.  Fertilizing is helpful for seedlings, or for plants that don't always catch as many bugs in cultivation such as Sarracenia psittacina and S. purpurea types.  Many hybrids of psittacina are also benefit from fertilizing, such as Scarlet Belle, which seems to catch very few insects.

I'll be looking for that Trappist Ale!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!