Carnivorous Plants/Tarnok Pitcher

Should I add water to the Tarnok pitchers? I mean inside the pitchers to form a pool. If I should, how much? Thanks!

Hi John,

No.  Upright Sarracenia don't have water in them.  As insects fall in the pitchers the plant secretes digestive enzymes from the walls of the pitcher tubes.  Only Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia rosea catch rainwater.  This is a very common misconception often printed in books and other places that you can add to the giant list of common carnivorous plant myths and misconceptions.  

My first book I read on cp showed an illustration of a Sarracenia flava with a water pool.  When I got my first flava, I could never figure out why no water was in it, and when I tried to fill it the plant would actually absorb the water out of the tube.  If you think about it, that's why Trumpet Pitchers have lids.  They're umbrellas to keep too much rain from getting in.  It varies from umbrella type lids like S.flava, S. leucophylla, and S. oreophila to more enclosed opening like S. rubra and S. alata, to fully closed like S. minor, and Darlingtonia.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!