Carnivorous Plants/Trimm moss?

Hi Jeff,

I know you answered my previously about this topic, but new growth is imminent for my CPs, Pinguicula vulgaris is growing already, Sarracenia flowers coming out.

As a last "optimization" I was thinking if it is worth trimming the moss height a bit? On the first picture you can see a Drosera hibernaculum between the Sarracenia, it is still fine, but as for picture #2 (flytrap deep in moss), I am afraid that moss might grow further during the season and trimming might be more difficult when plants are growing...

Hi JP,

Having good Sphagnum moss growth is a good problem to have.  I will often just pull the moss away round plants that are getting over-grown, then use that moss somewhere else.  Trimming is fine too.  Also, I would be diligent about removing any non-sphagnum mosses and grasses.  They can take over fast, especially the grasses.

Since you have nice Sphagnum moss growth you try sowing some Drosera rotundifolia seeds this Autumn around your bog if you don't have them there already.  They love growing in live Sphagnum, and are a lovely little cp weed to have in any outdoor collection.  You should even have them native in Germany.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!