Carnivorous Plants/Aphids

Hi, my plants have been coming out of dormancy but I just recently noticed what appears to be aphids on my D.filiformis. It's starting to put out its long leafs and underneath them are little fat black insect like creatures. I don't see them on my other plants. I do have a Bayer Advanced brand, Natria insect, disease & mite control spray bottle. I hadn't before used it on CP's and I'm not sure if it's safe for my Sundews and my other plants. Also would it be fine to repot my sarracenia next year? I put my sarracenias in extra large pots last year and they seem to be doing great now. They have lots and lots of new healthy growth.

Hi Jesus,

Here's a link to our insecticide podcast:  If you have additional questions after watching that, be sure to visit us back here at Allexpers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!