Carnivorous Plants/Home depot nepenthes miranda

Hi i recently bought a nepenthes Miranda from home depot and i was wondering if there is a certain care guide for these plants. Ive heard the plants from home depot  arent that good but i wanted to give it a try and if there is a certain way to care for these in specific i would love to know thank you!

Hi Andrew,

If it's one of the big Miranda's that come from deRoose Plants they are great plants.  It's regular Nepenthes care, except they like lots of sun.  If you just have it in a window, it should get at least 4 hours of direct sun.  If you put it outside in the summer, it needs a little shading, but still quite bright.  If the leaves are reddish, you're getting about the right amount.  Here's our basic Nepenthes care:

One warning about this plant.  They get huge!  In good conditions, 14" pitchers are not uncommon.  The leaf span can be over 3 feet across.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!