Carnivorous Plants/Life Sphagnum in trays

Big tray with sphagnum
Big tray with sphagnum  
Hi Jeff,

I have a surplus off life sphagnum moss which I canīt use as media, either as a top dressing... I am lucky, I know :-D

Does it make sense to use it in my big trays? Since the window sill is not even I though it could help maintaining a more equal water level for all pots since the upper ones will sit in water less long as the down-part know what I mean!

Also was I thinking I could use the "mossy tray" to sow some drosera seeds :-)  

Last but not least, should I add a peat moss layer under the sphagnum, or I can just use it "pure"?

Thanks a tons Jeff, highly appreciate it!

Hi JP,

Live Sphagnum makes an excellent germinating medium for Drosera rotundifolia and other sundews.  Chopped live sphagnum is great for germinating other seeds such as Sarracenia.

The moss in the water tray I predict will be more trouble than it's worth over time.  It can get mold in it and just get nasty.  Better to just grow your moss in separate containers.  A layer of peat underneath it does help.  If the windowsill isn't level (Fire that contractor! :) just use wood shims to level trays.  We do that all the time in the greenhouse.

If you are getting lots of sphagnum sell bags of it.  I'm sure other cp growers or orchid growers would love to have some.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!