Carnivorous Plants/Pots

Hi guys,
An interesting question came up while transplanting and your the only one I trust to as.
Can you use Tera coat pots to grow cold hardy plants and why ?

Thank you for your time

Hi Corrine,

You can but they tend to have a short life.  Because most carnivorous plants sit in water the clay in the pot is always hydrated, and will freeze causing the pot to crack in winter.  They can also dry out faster in them.  Plastic or glazed ceramic is a better choice.

Some specific plant do prefer terracotta, however.  Plants that don't like to be as wet, or ones that need some root cooling benefit from them.  Those would include Cephalotus Drosophyllum, Drosera regia, and some others too.  People living in desert climates also can benefit from using terracotta to help cool plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!