Carnivorous Plants/squirrels

QUESTION: I have an issue with squirrels digging into the soil around the plants I have in pots.  With my regular garden plants I use red pepper.   Can this be used on carnivorous plants or is there something else that you can recommend? They have already dug up my VFTs once and I had to replant them.

ANSWER: Hi Patricia,

Red pepper is fine to use.  They also hate sticky stuff, so devising something with flypaper, glue traps, etc... can sometimes be effective.  Other solutions are going to be more expensive such as motion activated sprinklers, scatmats or sonic repellers.  If you have neighbors that are feeding them, asking them to not feed them helps some too since they are often burying nuts in the peat.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thank you. Now that everything is waking up I would hate for squirrels to mess everything up. On that note everything is putting out new leaves or pitchers except the purple pitcher plant. It is showing no signs of waking up at all. Are these just slow to come out of dormancy or could there be a problem?

Hi Patricia,

Depending on what subspecies you have purpurea's can be slow, especially if spring has been cool or erratic.  Usually S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is the first to send up flowers, but pitchers take longer.  S. purp. venosa and S. rosea want nights warm before they wake up.  This is very different than plants like S. flava.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!