Carnivorous Plants/Darlingtonia drip system

QUESTION: I was wonder you said before you have you drip set on a timer for twice a day,  but you need to conserve water,  but if you didn't  have to conserve water would it be ok to have it run all the time to simulate the natural habitat ? I have a Rez underneath to catch the water to recycle it so it's not going to wast, being that my temps get higher then yours,  would it be ok to have water dripping over the roots all the time ,   I have it in a cat litter pan like yours  I'm just wondering how many times a day I should have the drip on ?

ANSWER: Hi Michael,

If you're able to run the drippers most of the day, do it.  I would say from about 10:00 in the morning to about 6:00 at night.  You just have to be the judge on your temperatures.  Your plants will love having the water moving.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: So should I only be running the drip when it's hot out or all the time ?

Hi Michael,

If you're able to use the runoff water, and your water supply isn't limited or very expensive, the plants will appreciate it being on all the time.  In nature they are frequently found in spring seeps where they always have that trickle.  

The two main things in cultivation you are trying to do is water the plants, and keep the root zone cool.  How you accomplish that is always going to depend on your own personal situation and availability of water.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!