Carnivorous Plants/Darlingtonia temps

so here is the question,  on your website ypu say water  Darlingtonia twice a day on warm days, so I would like to know what do you consider  warm days ?  Being that Darlingtonia prefer cooler temps so thats why I want to know what do you  consider warm days. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Hi Michael,

To be clear, it's the roots that need the cooler temperatures.  The leaves of the plant have no problem with warm conditions.  An analogy I've often heard from gardeners is that it's like Clematis; they like their heads warm, but feet cold. I would top-water them any day it's near 80F or higher.  It's also good to shield their pots from direct sun.

Just recently we had two fungal diseases identified, Cylindrocarpon and Pythium, that cause root rot in Darlingtonia.  Pythium is most active in the 80's and 90's F.  This is the warm soil link associated with "Sudden Death" syndrome in Darlingtonia, the cause of which was not known before.  Keeping the soil cool, and well oxygenated is part of what suppressed these fungi if they are present.  Keeping pots and trays clean and sterile is also good prevention, as is always using new clean media when transplanting.  Also be sure to avoid any ground contact with pots.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!